Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Currently reading- January 2017

I love reading- when I was in junior high and high school, it was the quickest way to escape my (sometimes pretty lonely and socially awkward) reality. [[[I'm not the only one who was this way, right? I look back at those pictures and cringe... those years were rough!]]]

When I went to college, I read a LOT. I read all (yes, all) the assigned texts, from dry text books about irrigation and ag business to William Wordsworth and Keats- I was that student. After graduation, I found myself unmotivated to read for fun. I was BUSY with a new job that took up a lot of time and a long distance relationship that took a lot of miles. [Don't worry, I married him, so it was worth it.]

It's only been in the past few years that I've been able to reignite that spark. I don't finish at nearly the same pace that I used to, but it's nice to be able to close out the rest of the world for a bit and experience something new. (Side note- is that what meditation is like? I should probably try it, but I really struggle with making my mind shut out the noise for an extended period of time.)

It felt apropos, with the start of the new year, to start with The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  My friend gave it to me in a Secret Santa exchange, and it was kismet. This blog is part of my resolution to focus on doing things that make me happy, so it was completely serendipitous that this quick read ended up on my nightstand.

Let me start by saying that I am not particularly unhappy- sure, there are things that really make me sad, but by far and away, I'm blessed. However, sometimes I spend so much time focusing on the grey clouds that I miss the blue skies above them, and this is what motivated Gretchen, as well. Could changing little things really make you that much happier?

What I appreciated most about this book is how completely organized Gretchen approached happiness. Organization is my love language, so this approach was in my wheel house. I love that she broke her focus on baby steps to make happiness a priority month by month- each month built on habits from before. Little incremental changes are so much easier to manage.

My take-aways:

  1. Be you. Don't apologize for what you like. I cannot make myself like football, even if I tried. I need to own it, and just be Lindsay.
  2. Focusing on your happiness isn't selfish (within reason); if you're happy, you spread it to others. [think about that Negative Nellie at work- just ugh.] You cannot give if your well is empty. 
  3. Being mindful brings awareness, which in turn can lead to happiness. Appreciating moments really does bring joy.
  4. Make time for what makes you happy. If you don't make time for it, it will not happen. I am living proof of this. 
  5. Man... I really need to work on friendships. I am so lonely. This is definitely an area of growth!
  6. Gratitude is key- appreciate what you have. Happy people acknowledge and enjoy what they have, even if they might want more. 
  7. Challenge yourself to grow- growth brings joy. Doing things that make you uncomfortable in the short term can really build happiness in the long term. 
  8. You choose to be happy (something I've believed for a long, long time- circumstances change, but your attitude can make all the difference)
Am I going to do a year long happiness project? No... I don't have the focus for that. The author acknowledges this, as well. She really encourages you to create a Happiness Project of your own, in your own iteration. 

Should you read this book? I feel like it was worthwhile, even if you consider yourself a positive, very happy person. Her research into the subject was fascinating, as was the different facets she focused on that helped her find more contentment. Can't we all use a little more joy in our lives? 

A photo that captures pure joy: 

May you be as happy as David at the park!!!!

No comments: