Thursday, February 2, 2017

Getting it all done

Work/life balance. Huh.

My coworker went to a workshop and sent me a picture of a slide that said "How do you achieve work/life balance?" I am in a season where I don't feel like that's possible. I work full time in a job that demands weekends and evenings, I have a toddler and a husband I like to see, a home to maintain,  I have to deal with being pregnant (eff you heartburn), and also, somehow, attempt to make time to do things for myself so I don't completely loose my mind

While I'm still struggling to come to peace with the fact that sometimes it's not all going to get done, as a lifelong perfectionist and a person who deals with anxiety (both social and general), I have found some ways to help me feel like I'm doing at least okay in managing so many different worlds.

Work: 

  • Be as efficient as possible. I do not stop working the entire time I'm at school. If I have 5 free minutes, I'm grading, doing paperwork or prepping lessons or...you get the idea . I grab lunch and eat at my desk. Yes, I realize this isn't a recommended practice, but if I work through lunch, I can go home 30 minutes earlier
  • Leave work at work. This is unusual for a teacher, but when I'm home, I don't want to grade or lesson plan. It helps that I've been doing this for 7 years so much of my curriculum is set except for adjustments, and also, I'm not an English teacher with stacks of papers to sort through.
  • Schedule meetings and be productive. This seems like a duh statement, but a lot of meetings are a waste of time and oxygen.
  • Keeping an organized work space, inbox, filing system and classroom makes life much less chaotic. I organize everything top to bottom every couple of days, because- students. Life. Stuff. You know.
  • Find something to enjoy at work every day. I laugh every single day because a student says or does something completely ludicrous. 
  • One master to do list, not having several different lists, keeps me focused and on track on what I need to accomplish each week. Post-its are good friends of mine. 
My current work to-do list. These are all major projects with very firm deadlines!


Home and Family:
  • I have a housekeeper who comes every two weeks. Is it extravagant? Perhaps. Does Lucy help keep my house clean enough that I can spend that free time I do have with my kid instead of vacuuming under the couch and cleaning the bathtub? Yes. So, worth every penny. 
  • Crock pot dinners.... while Jensen does most of the cooking, when he's away for work trips, this is the only way I can feed David and myself without getting takeout 
  • I can't say this enough- I love my robot vacuum. bOBSweep for the win! I hate messy floors, so this is a sanity maintainer.
  • Keep a diaper bag stocked 24/7. Never let it run out of diapers and wipes!
  • Order as much as you can online, either for delivery or site to store pick up. While I love some Target time, it is more efficient to have someone else do the shopping for you. (Although I'll sometimes go to Target just to wander. I love Target...)
  • Keeping David on a consistent schedule really, really helps us. I know this isn't for everyone, but for our family, the predictability prevents toddler meltdowns and keeps us on pace too  Plus, nap time. I STILL nap on the weekends when David does!
  • Auto-schedule bills as much as possible. I hate last minute stress!
  • Try to focus on the moment I'm in, instead of what's coming. I've had to shut off my Facebook account, this being one of the reasons pushing me to come to that decision. I was missing life because I was so plugged in to my phone. 
  • I tidy the house every night after David goes to bed. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes 30- but  those minutes save free time on the weekend. Plus, I hate clutter and it stresses me out.
  • I should meal plan more- I'm working on it. I've heard it's a real life saver, though! 
  • Using the Cozi app has helped Jensen and I know what's coming up on each other's schedules, we can share a grocery list, and we've also created a shared to-do list of places we'd like to visit. (It's a fun and motivating list to look through!!! #wanderlust) He's been travelling out of town a ton the past few months, and it's nice looking at our shared calendar and knowing what's coming up for both of us. 
 
David and I spent a rainy Sunday when Jensen was out of town at  the local Children's Museum. The cars were his favorite. Naturally. I cherish my weekends so much more now. 


Self: 

I'll get back to you on this. I know many women who say they don't feel like themselves after having a child, and I can't say this is true in my experience. However, I know that I put my self  low on the endless list of to-do's. For example, I can't remember the last time I went on a trip with just my friends.... 2010? I can't tell you the last time, when I was going through a really hard time, that I felt like I could call someone  and just vent, simply because it had been so long since I had talked to a girlfriend; I felt awkward imposing after such a long time. So, yes... this component of my life is in need of resuscitation. I sometimes feel like I'm drowning, and I'm finally figuring out what I need to do to come up for air.




So, work/life balance... a work in progress.

Xo,
Lindsay 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You time...you went to Las Vegas for my bachelorette party?? That's YOU time! Granted that was 2013 but still!

Great blog girl!

Lindsay said...

Touche' Amy- but it was only for one night because of work! :( Thanks, lady! xo

ndevaurs said...

Girl friends are always glad to hear from you, even if it's been a while since you've reached out. I used to take the boys to visit out of town friends when Boomer traveled. A day at the park catching up with a girl friend while the kids play can be rejuvenating. always here for you when you need support.